North Yorkshire Council looks set to approve an order to support the planned £12.5m Harrogate Station Gateway scheme despite objections from local residents and businesses.
Senior councillors will decide next week whether to proceed with the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to allow work to start on improvements to pedestrian links and public areas in and around the town’s Station Parade.
As part of the scheme, the parking and waiting TRO proposes changes to waiting restrictions at various points along Station Parade and behind James Street and Princes Street.
These include loading restrictions at peak times on Station Parade Central and designated areas for loading and unloading on the eastern side of Station Parade.
Changes to the parking bays in the Station Parade area are also proposed.
The TRO was previously advertised in July 2024 but was amended and readvertised following feedback during a consultation exercise.
The council has received 25 responses from local residents and businesses objecting to the changes during the latest consultation.
One local resident said:
“The proposal will reduce parking in an already desperate state, have a detrimental effect on local business, and be a deterrent to people visiting the town centre.
“The end result does not justify the huge expenditure which could be put to far better use within the town, let alone the total disruption and inconvenience for the people of Harrogate.”
A business owner said:
“These proposals will hurt my business and livelihood, and I’m sure many other local traders share the same worries.
“Especially when the cost simply to do business is putting on so much pressure already.”
But in a report to councillors, Matt Roberts, the council’s economic and regeneration project manager, said that after considering the comments received, officers still recommend proceeding with the order as advertised.
He added:
“The proposals have been formed in order to facilitate a project that will improve the environment for sustainable travel choices whilst, as far as possible, mitigating any detrimental impact on other highway users.
“Whilst a reduction in pay and display parking is proposed, this is considered proportionate given that there is more than adequate parking in the town centre.”
Officers said they had considered whether to hold a public inquiry over the TRO but believed this would “not be proportionate or appropriate” given the relatively small number of objections.
The proposals are due to be considered by the council’s environment executive members on November 17.
The scheme is predominantly funded through the Government’s Transforming Cities Fund (TCF), which awarded the authority £38m to deliver schemes in Harrogate, Selby and Skipton.

Man taken to Leeds General infirmary following aircraft crash in Masham
Six arrested following car theft in Harrogate
FULL CHAT: Local occupational therapist hosts online masterclass to support new mums
Harrogate businesses reject new accommodation BID proposal
New interior showroom to open on Albert Street
Harrogate BID appoints new Chief Executive Officer
Conductor who painted for the King sets up gallery at Knaresborough station
Rudy's pizzeria announces Harrogate opening date
Harrogate community rallies to support family after loss of 9-week-old son
Swinton Estate appoints new general manager
Harrogate MP calls for 'fairer' student loan system
Council chiefs deny claims of conspiracy to remove committee chair
Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision near West Park
Council agrees £150,000 funding to reduce winter deaths
1,000 Smiles: Pateley Bridge woman wins £1,000 prize
Ripon pupils take alcohol-free fashion message to Parliament
Call for volunteers to support end of life care patients in Harrogate and Ripon
Council agrees council tax hike because they don't live "in world of unicorns and rainbows"
Rossett School launches £15,000 fundraiser for new minibus
Endometriosis charity event to be held in Harrogate next month


