Residents are being warned that fly-tipping will not be tolerated as new rules come into force at North Yorkshire’s recycling centres.
Households must register their details before visiting any of the county’s household waste recycling centres, in a move by North Yorkshire Council to make the service fairer and reduce misuse.
While the changes are designed to ensure sites are only used by those who fund them, council leaders have moved to reassure residents that strict action will be taken against anyone who illegally dumps waste.
Councillor Richard Foster, the council’s executive member for managing the environment, said:
“We take a zero-tolerance approach to anybody who fly tips, and we will always seek to prosecute those responsible.”
Numerous people have raised concerns on social media that the new system will lead to an increase in fly-tipping.
Cllr Foster said the potential consequences of the scheme had been carefully considered, but evidence from other parts of the country suggested there was no direct link.
The council pointed to research from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, which analysed data from local authorities that have implemented similar measures.
It found that 32 per cent of councils which had implemented similar changes believed fly-tipping numbers had stayed the same in the last 12 months, 27 per cent said they were unsure if fly-tipping had increased, and 26 per cent of councils believed it had decreased.
The registration system requires residents to provide their name, address and vehicle details before visiting one of the county’s 20 sites. In the early stages, staff will focus on supporting visitors and helping them register, rather than turning people away.
The council says the changes will help tackle misuse of the sites, with around one in six visits currently made by people from outside North Yorkshire — costing taxpayers up to £400,000 a year.

Despite the tighter controls, officials have stressed that the system has been designed to remain convenient, with no need to book visits in advance. Once registered, residents can continue to use the sites freely during opening hours.
Registration is free and lasts for three years.
The scheme follows a public consultation which received more than 3,000 responses, with a majority backing measures to restrict access to residents.
Owners of commercial‑like vehicles (CLVs) can make up to 12 free visits per year to dispose of their own household waste once registered.
Officials say this change is designed to prevent the council from inadvertently accepting commercial waste free of charge, while still supporting residents who own larger vehicles.
Residents can register online at www.northyorks.gov.uk/hwrc
Those without internet access can call the council on 0300 131 2 131, or visit a library or council office for help.

Fairground rides return to Valley Gardens for half term
Six teenage boys arrested after 'violent incident' in Harrogate
Your Skipton and Your Ilkley to launch on DAB next week
Police appeal after hit-and-run on Knaresborough High Street
Harrogate Town announce signing of Chesterfield midfielder
Free Fuel Friday: Another winner scoops free tank of fuel
Smiley/sad face speed signs set to remain banned in North Yorkshire
Harrogate primary school takes climate education to national stage
Historic village pub enjoys successful reopening under new ownership
Masham primary school unveils newly refurbished library
RHS Harlow Carr to host Summer Garden Weekend
First look inside Furlong and Furrow ahead of reopening
Harrogate man and colleagues tackle Three Peaks in memory of his mum
Harrogate care organisation raises £500 at Nidderdale Walk
Mayor urged to "come to the table" to discuss road repair funding
Monthly IT support clinic for elderly people launched in Harrogate
Harrogate College celebrates milestone as new campus takes shape
Children are taking over the Leeds station tannoy this weekend – here's why
Vernon Kay joins lineup for Harrogate's Symphonic Ibiza event


